Contact Lenses and Treatment in Manhattan Beach, CA
Make your vision a top priority with eye exams and contact lenses in Manhattan Beach, CA from our dependable practice. Dr. Gary M. Lazarus provides general exams for adults, seniors, and children 4 years of age and older.
Our comprehensive care includes a full exam, visual field testing and a dilated eye health exam to diagnose cataracts, macular degeneration, diabetic and hypertensive retinopathy, dry eye, ocular allergy, glaucoma and other diseases of the retina and optic nerve. Our state-of-the-art retinal camera takes photos of your dilated pupils to measure the changes in the retina and optic nerve over time.
We offer comprehensive examinations to ensure optimum eye health. Whether you have 20/20 vision or are living with astigmatism, we tailor examinations to ensure the condition of your eyes is fully observed, with any anomalies noted. We consult for a number of examinations, including:
- Consultations for prevention of macular degeneration using antioxidant nutraceutical supplements such as; Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Mesozeaxanthin.
- Consultations for dry eye/ocular surface disease (keratitis sicca).
- OTC and prescription ophthalmic medicine. Recommendations are based on the results of tear film and meibomian gland evaluation.
Our practice offers consultations, examination and fitting for single vision, bifocal, astigmatism and cosmetic eye color change lenses in soft or gas permeable materials.
Gas Permeable Contact Lens Suppliers
- GP Optics
- Kontur Kontacts
Soft Contact Lens Brands
- Ciba Vision (Alcon) Air Optix
- Cooper Vision Biofinity, Clariti, Proclear
- Bausch and Lomb Pure Vision and Ultra Toric
- Vistakon (Johnson and Johnson) Acuvue Oasys
Come to us for frames and prescription lenses tailored to meet your unique vision needs. Create a look all your own, with our quality eyewear. Our frame selection includes both vintage and designer styles that arrive daily.
Specialized Lenses and Coatings
We offer Transition Lenses, which are clear indoors and darken by exposure to UV light outdoors. These lenses are available in gray or brown and act as a modified sunglass; 2 pair of lenses in 1.
For users of computers and other tech instruments, the office offers BluTech Lenses to block the harmful blue light portion of the spectrum.
If one is sensitive to reflections from oncoming auto headlights at night, we recommend Crizal Anti-Reflective Coating. These special headlights are any of the following: Quartz-Halogen, Xenon or LED. If one looks at these headlights for any length of time, they can cause discomfort, disorientation, difficulty with glare recovery, as well as possible earlier onset of cataracts and macular degeneration – as is the case with the lighting from computers and other tech instruments. Again, the light emitted from these “hi-tech” auto headlights is also from the harmful blue portion of the spectrum.
Glasses-Lens Brands and Products
Summary of Special Lenses and Coatings for Glasses
- Varilux Progressive (no line) Bifocals which include intermediate computer vision range.
- Transitions: Photochromic lenses which are clear indoors and dark outdoors from exposure to UV light outdoors; available in gray or brown; act as a modified sunglass; 2 pair of lenses in 1.
- Polarized Lenses: Light is reflected off of a horizontal surface such as water, which needs a vertically oriented filter to allow vertically polarized light to be transmitted by blocking the horizontally polarized light that causes glare, reflections, and discomfort; excellent choice for watersports including boating and fishing to see below the surface of the water. It blocks reflections from the sun and sky. Note: Polarized lenses are the modern day Polaroid lenses.
- Non Polarized Lenses: No polarizing filter to block glare and discomfort. These lenses only reduce light intensity as a standard sunglass.
Safest impact resistant lens. Mandatory material for children under the age of 17. Recommended for body contact occupations, construction and heavy duty work, law enforcement and fire personnel, as well as sports.
Trivex Lenses-About the same benefits as Polycarbonate Lenses with some subtle differences.
Personal recommendation from Dr. Lazarus: High Index Plastic Lenses have the most crisp optics and are the thinnest lenses available with an index of refraction of n=greater than or equal to 1.60 for high prescription lenses greater than or equal to +/- 2.50 D. However, please note, for children, body contact occupations, construction and heavy duty work, law enforcement and fire personnel, as well as sports, Polycarbonate or Trivex Lenses are my first choice.
Blocks harmful blue light of the spectrum emitted from tech instruments such as computers, IPads and IPhones. Please note, the harmful blue light that is emitted has the potential of causing an earlier onset of cataracts and macular degeneration in long term users of these tech instruments.
Crizal Anti-Reflective Coating
Blocks reflections from auto headlights at night. These hi tech headlights are Quartz-Halogen, LED, or Xenon. Symptoms from these lights are reflections, discomfort, disorientation and difficulty with glare recovery. Since these lights emit the harmful blue portion of the spectrum, there is an increased risk in an earlier onset of cataract and macular degeneration.
Yellow Kalichrome Lenses
Designed for cloudy or foggy weather . Recommended for hunting. Not to be worn in sunlight.
Fashion Tints-Solid and gradient in all colors.
From custodians and carpenters to equipment operators and pilots.
Blue Blocker Lenses
Older technology with orange tinge vs color free distortion in BluTech lenses. Often used for patients with macular and peripheral retinal degeneration, such as Retinitis Pigmentosa eg. Corning 550 lens.